Position: Application Support Specialist (Information Technology Consultan (9686)
Company: California State University
Location: San Francisco CA US
Application Support Specialist
SF State University
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
This is a one year probationary position.
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Anticipated Hiring Range*
$5,023.00 Per Month ($60,276.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position provides user support and consultation, product and service oversight, outreach, documentation, and issue management in the context of a user support desk for a campus-wide clientele of faculty, staff, and students. It focuses on Academic Technology software applications and related services including Learning Management System and related tools. It provides support and administration to the campus Student Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness system. Customer service, communication, and technical skills are combined to support and maintain high quality services to the campus. The position works with other teams to identify opportunities for improvement of services that meet the needs of campus users.
Three years of work experience in a user support capacity preferably in a customer service oriented application support capacity. Bachelor¿s Degree in information technology related field. or a combination of education and related work experience
Familiarity with common academic technology systems such as learning management and lecture capture systems; customer service procedures and approaches; information technology systems and/or applications, including higher education systems, commonly used software (productivity software, etc.); audio/visual equipment in classroom and conference room settings; training approaches and practices; use of technology by student, faculty, and staff for academic purposes; best practices for the creation and documentation of training and support materials.
Apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support; communicate technical issues to non-technical users; apply strong written and verbal communication skills in user interactions; develop support or training documentation in different formats (text, images, video, screencast); analyze, replicate, and troubleshoot issues with academic technology services and applications; work independently to solve complex issues while balancing other priorities; work effectively as a member of a team; collate and analyze data and develop conclusions based on analysis; use effective interpersonal and public communication skills, as well as effective team building and conflict resolution strategies; analyze, replicate, and troubleshoot issues with systems or software; assist others in completing work assignments including the ability to provide basic work direction and training; work independently to solve complex issues while balancing other priorities; strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate technical issues to non-technical users; delegate work projects to other staff and student assistants;
Familiarity with help desk ticketing software; knowledge of learning management systems including Moodle; knowledge of lecture capture systems including Mediasite; understanding of faculty workflows for course design and development in teaching environments; strong organization skills; ability to coordinate the work of others; experience with both Windows and Mac platforms; experience with media applications such as Adobe Photoshop, screencast software, and productivity tools; familiarity with the use of scanners; understanding of copyright law and intellectual property practices in education.
Management of applications and systems including access procedures, account management, permissions, configuration, and other procedures.
A background check (which may include: checks of employment records, education records, criminal records, civil records, motor vehicle records, professional licenses, and sex offender registries, as position requires). Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
– Experience supporting student and faculty use of the Moodle learning management system; experience administrating the Moodle learning management system;
– Experience supporting Mediasite or similar lecture capture solution;
– Ability to develop effective screencasts or other video-based support materials;
– Knowledge of varying campus resources to help redirect users to other support needs;
– Ability to maintain accurate support records;
– Experience supporting the use and encoding of digital media formats
Core Competencies embody the following competencies:
– Bias toward collaboration and teamwork.
– Effective oral, written and nonverbal communication skills.
– Customer/Client focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution.
– Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence.
– Diversity and inclusion
– Open office environment, classroom spaces, and on-campus facilities will be the venues for this position
– Requires carrying or lifting equipment to conduct field-based work in offices, labs, and a range of campus locations.
– Requires mobility to install, remove or relocate equipment under desks or in tight spaces.
– Ability to respond to emergency critical system outages or issues on some evenings, weekends, or holidays.
– Work schedule may change at times to ensure delivery of campus services, and the work-week will be adjusted accordingly. Evening and weekend shifts may be required based on operational need on a rotating basis.
– Academic Technology is a service unit that supports the entire campus community. In the interest of projecting a positive image to the constituents we serve, all employees must be professionally, neatly and appropriately attired for the work to be done.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life’s Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University’s commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference.
How To Apply
Submit an online application and upload in one file attachment your resume and cover letter (optional), describing your specific qualifications for each position. The online recruitment system will allow one file attachment for each submission.
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
SF State is Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity.
Latest posts by Broadcast Beat Magazine (see all)
- Clerk Typist 2 Department for Disability Access & Advising - April 25, 2018
- Videography Intern - April 25, 2018
- Digital Print Production / Designer - April 25, 2018