Position: Broadcast Systems Engineer
Location: Atlanta GA US
The role is part of the Technology & Operations team at WXIA-TV. The role is both strategic and hands on. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a thorough understanding of broadcast centric technologies and operational models within a 24/7 broadcast operation; specifically in Local News/Production and field operations.
- “Hands on” engineer capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Forge and foster positive relationships with Infrastructure & support teams external to WXIA e.g. Facilities, Broadcast Operations/Engineering, IT
- Lead and manage multiple projects from conceptual stage through to launch including budget tracking and reporting
- Provide technical support to other teams within Technology & Ops at WXIA.
- Develop new workflows designed to improve quality and reduce flaws
- Design and implement permanent technical solutions
- Partner with Studio Operations and Field Operations groups to maintain systems and complete technology projects
- Seek opportunities to reduce spend/increase newsgathering efficiency by implementation of smart technology
- Experience in field operations including Trucks, Satellite, Microwave and IP newsgathering technologies
- Leverage computing concepts to develop innovative solutions for complex architecture and operational challenges.
- Strong Interpersonal skills with ability to interface with all levels of management & user community.
- Must possess strong multitasking skills
- Responsible for the maintenance and design of Broadcast Systems e.g. Routers, control room systems, studios, traffic and weather systems.
- Digital Asset Management and Newsroom Systems
- Video Codecs and transcoding
- Introduction of new newsgathering & production technologies and support existing technologies
- On-air quality control, including, but not limited to;
- Broadcast acquisition, production, playout and archive
- Secondary Distribution Channels
- New initiatives
- Web & Social platforms
Here’s what you need:
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 7 years of managing mission critical Broadcast / IT environments at a TV Station: preferably in News.
- Experience in building large scale systems to support business
- Project Management
- Extensive experience in Broadcast Systems, Networking, Servers, Desktop, Monitoring, end user support, Reading and Creating Detailed AutoCAD documentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with all levels of management & user community
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 46 stations in 38 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and 32 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA delivers results for advertisers through unparalleled and innovative solutions including OTT local advertising network Premion, centralized marketing resource Hatch, and G/O Digital, a one-stop shop for local businesses to connect with consumers through digital marketing. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.