Position: Director of Development and Communications
Company: Marjaree Mason Center
Location: Fresno CA US
Type: Regular, Full-Time
Salary: $4,166.66 – $5,000/month
Reports To: Executive Director
SUMMARY: Reporting to the Executive Director, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for the development of MMC fund development and communication strategy that will ultimately advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the Agency. The individual will lead the organization in the building and strengthening of relationships with donors and donor prospects in order to increase private financial support for MMC. The Director of Development and Communications will be responsible MMC’s varied and integrated communications products and services relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership including: newsletters and other print publications; Web, E-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Fund Development Role
- Work with Executive Director and communications team to develop creative and personalized stewardship and cultivation plans for top donors
- Take primary role in seeking out funds for the organization through a variety of sources such as grant writing, corporate sponsorships, fundraising events, and campaigns
- Solicit sponsorships, donations, corporate matching gifts and charitable bequests
- Serve as project manager for special events including Top 10 Awards Luncheon and Marjaree Mason Birthday Soiree, including developing event goals and budget through collaboration with staff, committees and vendors.
- Ensure that top donors and prospects are included in appropriate events and are recognized for their service and generosity
- Maintain effective working relationships with donors, volunteers, government, media, foundation representatives, and others to nurture their connection to the organization
- Coordination of fundraising requests
- Responsible for ensuring donor database is current and its use for fundraising activities are efficient and effective
- Oversee the creation and distribution of agency communication tools, including but not limited to newsletter, E-blasts, social media and other means of fundraising solicitation
- Deliver public presentations on domestic violence awareness and prevention
- May be asked to make presentations to the MMC Board
Marketing/Public Relations Role
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance MMC’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support MMC’s work, and create and implement plans to exploit them
- Manage all media relations including writing media releases/advisories, prep executive director on all talking points and potentially serve as an agency spokesperson.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow MMC’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Ensure brand integrity by maintaining and updating style sheets and other guidelines and ensure that colleagues follow those guidelines
- Manage and maintain agency website
- Provide outreach and education so referral sources are familiar with our programs/services and client needs
- Directly supervises all employees and volunteers in the fund development/communications department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training employees and volunteers; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding the disciplining employees and volunteers; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basisThe Director of Development and Communications is expected to customarily and regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in carrying out job duties. The Director of Development and Communications is also expected to perform solely exempt-type duties more than 50% of work time during the workweek.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be
able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Must have a proven track record of being able to successfully develop fundraising campaigns
- Strong writing skills. The ideal candidate will demonstrate ability to craft clear, concise, and compelling content from scratch.
- Excellent verbal, visual/presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent project management and collaboration skills with an ability to manage competing interests under demanding conditions.
- Strong hands-on approach with a high level of self-motivation, integrity, and ethics.
- Focused on building long-term working relationships with a genuine interest in working with people of all levels to fulfill the company mission.The requirements listed below are representative of the additional knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from a four‑year college or university.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience leading successful fundraising campaigns for a non-profit agency, preferred.
- Experience with creative writing, special events and public relations*
- Must be proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Experience using Raisers Edge preferred.
- Experience with graphic design software such as InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite or Photoshop preferred
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or organizations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to adapt to the environment, to solve practical problems, to deal with a variety of multiple variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and to make independent decisions within scope of responsibility.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license and proof of liability insurance on personal auto. Must be insurable at all times at standard rate by set by MMC insurance carrier.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to work with sensitivity and without discrimination towards peoples of diverse cultures, races/ethnicity’s, socio/economic positions, ages, religions, genders, physical/mental challenges/disabilities and sexual orientations.
- Ability to understand the needs of families and women and children and a willingness to address their concerns with action designed to create change; sensitivity to issues pertaining to domestic violence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to climb or balance, is regularly required to talk or hear or smell.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regular attendance and promptness are considered part of each employee’s essential job functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is normal for an office environment.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements, which may change from time to time based on business needs. When appropriate, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, so long as those accommodations do not create an undue hardship for the company.
Job Type: Full-time
- Marketing: 3 years
- Communications: 3 years
Required license or certification:
- valid California driver’s license