Position: Field Operations Engineer
Location: Long Island City NY US
The Field Operations Engineering department is charged with supporting NBC News and all its subsidiaries including MSNBC with remote broadcast capabilities to cover all major news events world-wide. Candidate for this position must be able to work alone or with a team under extreme conditions and deadlines and deal with a flexible work schedule including holidays, weekends and evenings and overtime. Candidate must be available for overnight and/or overseas travel to natural disasters or conflict ridden parts of the world, or otherwise hazardous locations.
- Ability to work in many disciplines of remote broadcasting including but not limited to: On Air Communications, Video Shading, Audio A1 and or A2, Engineering (routing and video distribution), Satellite Broadcasting and Communications, Integration and Wiring, Electrical to Optical equipment and general electronic maintenance.
- Operation and maintenance of portable earth station equipment and or satellite truck. Comprehensive and demonstrable skills in the operation of DSNG encoders/decoders, exciters, HPAs, SSPAs, test and RF monitoring equipment Inmarsat BGAN and satellite telephone equipment.
- Ability to operate, maintain, design, procure and assemble “travel ready” light weight and streamlined transmission systems for deployment world-wide. Perform other duties as needed and as directed by Operations, Assignment Desk and other News Management.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience setting up remote broadcasts.
- Setting up remote broadcasts outside continental US preferred.
- Must have extensive knowledge in the setup and operation of multi-path digital satellite transmissions.
- Must have fundamental knowledge of a vast collection of broadcast equipment covering all disciplines.
- Must be computer savvy, work with both Mac and PC, possess skills related to file based workflows, possess fundamental knowledge of IP routing with emphasis on Video and Voice over IP systems.
- Must have an undergraduate degree in broadcast technology or electrical engineering or radio/TV/film or equivalent related experience.
- Must have demonstrable knowledge in all aspects of television production.
- Must be able to work under extreme conditions and deadlines.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including holidays, weekends, evenings, overnights, and overtime.
- Must be available for overnight and/or overseas travel to hazardous or conflict ridden parts of the world.
Long Island City
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
Broadcast Beat Magazine is an Official NAB Show Media partner and we cover Broadcast Engineering, Radio & TV Technology for the Animation, Broadcasting, Motion Picture and Post Production industries. We cover industry events and conventions like BroadcastAsia, CCW, IBC, SIGGRAPH, Digital Asset Symposium and more!