Position: Mechanical R&D / Manufacturing Engineer
Company: Whirlwind FX
Location: Burlingame CA US
Mechanical Design Engineer Whirlwind FX – Burlingame, CA
Location: Burlingame, CA
Must be authorized to work in the USA
Whirlwind FX is a seed funded, hardware startup looking to change how consumers interact and experience media. There is increasing demand in the immersive entertainment market to improve immersion and facilitate human interaction with the metaverse. We build Vortx, the first environmental simulator for all PC gaming and video. Vortx controls airflow and temperature triggered through our automated software engine. Imagine watching a youtube video in your browser and when you see fire, you feel heat. This also goes for any PC game, so when you melt your enemies with a flame thrower in Battlefield 1, you feel heat from Vortx.
As a mechanical engineer at Whirlwind FX, you will develop structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next-generation consumer virtual reality hardware. You will take the lead exploring and refining various mechanical design ideas through hands-on, iterative prototyping. You will refine selected designs and coordinate with manufacturing experts during the production process. We are looking for someone with a productive mindset who can apply their mechanical engineering expertise to solve problems in creative, insightful ways. Our ideal candidate has a strong mechanical background, excellent prototyping skills, solid 3D CAD capability, and experience in designing and manufacturing consumer technology products. You must be proactive, have a go-getter attitude, and have a desire to learn. You will have the opportunity to build the future of gaming and entertainment.
- Lead design, development and production of new hardware products.
- Own engineering activities throughout the entire product lifecycle, from definition and creation, through design, production, and next-gen improvements.
- Implement sound engineering processes and systematic approaches, while solving diverse design and manufacturing challenges.
- Contribute to the creation of technical specifications and product definition.
- Engineer parts and mechanisms that retain design intent and function according to specs.
- Build and finalize robust, manufacturable CAD models of selected design ideas.
- Test and evaluate design components for manufacturability and structural integrity.
- Coordinate with manufacturing experts to optimize part design and production processes.
- Support product production throughout the manufacturing process.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience plus 2-4 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experienced in engineering the mechanical side of consumer products, ideally in the electronics space.
- Expertise in 3D modeling (SolidWorks is a must).
- Testing and analysis capability (Simulation skills are a plus).
- Extensive manufacturing knowledge and experience, specifically with plastic injection molding.
- Assembly and enclosure design.
- Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills a plus.
Job Type: Full-time