Position: Research Laboratory Tech Assoc
Company: University of Michigan
Location: Ann Arbor MI US
Seeking a research technician to perform specialized laboratory protocols in a neurology lab at the University of Michigan Medical School. The individual will carry out laboratory protocols evaluating molecular changes in sensory neurons exposed to metabolites. More specifically, research projects will focus on alterations in mitochondrial dynamics and interorganellar interactions associated with metabolic flux.
- Preparation, culture, transfection and maintenance of immortalized cell lines and primary sensory neuron cultures.
- Preparation of sterile fatty acid treatment conditions for primary sensory neuron cultures.
- Collection of data using laser-scanning confocal microscopy to record images and videos of live sensory neurons exposed to fatty acid treatments.
- Completion of data analysis using computer software including Nikon Elements, Metamorph, Imaris, ImageJ/FIJI, Prism, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Excel.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with research staff at all levels. Take detailed laboratory notes and help organize and summarize results into publishable graphs and figures.
- High school diploma or associates degree and 0-1 year experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Candidate must have experience working with primary sensory neuronal cell culture
- Applicant also must have experience using computer software including Metamorph and Nikon elements and the Nikon A1 confocal microscope system.
- Applicant must be proficient at performing kymographing axonal transport analyses.
Applicant must also have basic laboratory skills including cell culture, sterile technique, live-cell imaging, and ability to perform quantitative analyses on Prism and Excel. Must be able to make cell culture treatment solutions and fatty acid cell culture treatment preparation
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.