In 1999, the first CineAlta (HDW-F900) was introduced to the industry from the partnership between Sony and Panavision. This cutting edge, first ever 24p digital cinema camera was all the rave in creating 100% digitally shot cinematic productions in big budget film making back then. Now, after several generational changes to the CineAlta line from the first RGB recording system (HDC-F950 and SRW-1) and the Super 35mm image sensor (F35) to the impeccable 20M 8K sensor of the F65. Sony has announced the next technology upgrades to this industry staple the CineAlta!
The key benefits and technology highlights will include:
- Full Frame 36x24mm sensor exclusively designed for this Digital Motion Picture Camera
- Aspect ratio-agnostic – including Full Frame, Super35 4K 4-perf 4:3 Anamorphic and 4K spherical 3-perf 17:9
- New image sensor enabling exceptional picture quality
- Maintains the workflow established with Sony’s 16bit RAW/X-OCN and XAVC
- Compatible with current and upcoming hardware accessories for CineAlta cameras (DVF-EL200 Full HD OLED Viewfinder, AXS-R7 recorder, AXS-CR1 and AR1 card reader, AXS and SxS memory cards).
The expectation from Sony is that the new 36x24mm full frame sensor, Super35 4K 4-perf 4:3 Anamorphic and 4K spherical 3-perf 17:9 capture will provide for a wider latitude image space (characteristics of the 65mm format) without the burden of lugging a large lens but with the bonus of having existing infrastructure for workflow support. As always, the CineAlta line has been designed with industry professionals in mind and upgrades to the technical core (of the camera) is based on collaboration within the professional film-making community. Look for more announcements from Sony on the release of the new CineAlta line coming to a professional near you by early 2018!
Matt and his family currently reside in the Washington, D.C metro area.
Latest posts by Matt Harchick (see all)
- Product Spotlight: Tightrope Media Systems Cablecast 6.3 - November 3, 2017
- Government Video Expo 2017 is Gearing Up! - November 1, 2017
- Imagine Communications Powers TVB with Platinum IP3 Routers - November 1, 2017