Position: Veterinary Technician or Assistant – ER – PT weekends
Company: BluePearl Veterinary Partners
Location: Chesterfield MO US
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
It is recognized that some skills may not be performed at all hospitals. The veterinary technician is expected to complete skills in accordance with the hospital’s policies.
• Triage and obtain patient history
• Placing intravenous catheters
• Perform CPR
• Perform radiographs
• Patient care including diagnostic procedures and treatments
• Anesthesia monitoring
• Prepare prescriptions and communicate discharge orders to clients
• Ability to uphold proper safety protocols
• Familiar and proficient with aseptic techniques
• Familiar with laboratory procedures and practices
• Familiar with veterinary equipment, instruments and medications
• Able to lift 40lbs without assistance
• Maintains proficiency at Veterinary Assistant Level 2 clinical skills and competencies.
• Compassionately, calmly and gently approaches and handles patients.
• Approaches and handles patients according to safety protocols and core values.
• Uses practice management software to maintain client and patient records according to hospital protocol.
• Maintains solid grasp of common veterinary medical terms and abbreviations and is able to converse with other veterinary professionals in medical terms.
• Able to address client concerns and answer them appropriately during visits, updates, or after hospitalization, for their skill set. Quickly and competently facilitates incoming calls.
• Implement appropriate animal husbandry skills to decrease disease spread, injury and stress to patients.
• Provides nursing care to stable patients according to hospital standards of care and core values.
• Report patient signalment, problem list and plan during nursing rounds.
• Operates and troubleshoots medical equipment necessary to perform job duties according to operating manual, and identifies and reports abnormalities.
• Alerts veterinarian if a patient’s status has changed and/or physical exam or monitoring parameters are outside of normal ranges.
• Interprets and completes in-patient and out-patient workup requests by veterinarian within their skill set.
• Performs all in-house laboratory diagnostics and appropriately submits out-house laboratory samples to all diagnostic labs used.
• Calculates basic medical math.
• Understands classification of commonly-used medications, associated side effects and appropriately monitors therapeutic response.
• Administers medications via appropriate routes and duration.
• Prepares medications, documents and patient for discharge, and communicates discharge instructions to client.
• Able to reconstitute and label medications appropriately.
• Performs phlebotomy.
• Ability to place peripheral intravenous catheter in cephalic vein.
• Understands, monitors and troubleshoots indwelling urinary catheters and closed urinary systems.
• Performs physical exam; accurately counts heart, pulse rate, capillary refill time, mucous membranes, temperature, respiratory rate and effort.
• Understands normal vital parameters and alerts doctor when abnormal.
• Able to set up intravenous fluids and can operate all brands of intravenous fluid pumps and can troubleshoot errors.
• Able to disconnect and connect patient from intravenous fluids aseptically.
• Ability to monitor patient response to fluid therapy including signs of overload.
• Appropriately restrain non-aggressive feline and canine patients.
• Able to read and follow orders written on treatment sheet accurately and in a timely manner.
• Understands and troubleshoots oxygen delivery via appropriate routes.
• Possesses a working knowledge of anesthesia/monitoring equipment and assist with patients assigned ASA I or II classifications.
• Performs all necessary functions of a preanesthesic workup under the direction of a Level II technician or higher.
• Intubates patients under the direction of a Level II technician or higher.
• Understands appropriate use of PPE during procedures.
• Ability to identify and locate instruments and materials (sutures, drill bits, probes, etc)
• Extubates and appropriately monitors post-operative patients under the direction of a Level II technician or higher.
• Remains current on R.E.C.O.V.E.R CPR guidelines and demonstrates proficiency in designated role as assigned by attending clinician and/or supervisor.
• Performs radiography using proper technique and PPE.
• Identifies signs of pain and alerts veterinarian.
• Supports clinician and client throughout euthanasia process.
• Trains others to competently perform skills in prerequisite levels.
• Assist across services during primary service downtime or as directed by supervisor.
• Accurate use of inventory management system; report supply shortages to Inventory Manager.
• Demonstrate proper use of hospital PPE; adhere to safety committee standards.
• Maintains hospital for day to day function and operation (stocking, cleaning, etc.).
• Attendance required at staff meetings and technician department meetings.
• Adhere to Employee Policy Manual, Hospital Procedure Manual and Safety Plan.
• Perform related work and additional duties as requested by Owners/Hospital Directors and Management.
• Maintains continuing education and licensure according to state and hospital guidelines.
• Additional job duties as assigned.
• Current certification/license in veterinary technology.
• Mastery of Veterinary Assistant Level II competencies and maintains proficiency.
• Experience working in a veterinary practice preferred.
• High School graduate.
• Strong interpersonal skills: able to communicate effectively with clients, doctors, management, hospital personnel, tenant specialists, consulting professionals and clients.
• Strong organizational/time management skills: able to set, prioritize and attain goals with attention to detail.
• Strong professional development skills: able to complete continue education in the field of veterinary medicine concurrently with job description.
• Strong sense of integrity: able to maintain highest ethical standards, personal responsibility and accountability and confidentiality of clients, doctors, and all staff.
• Strong analytical thinking skills: ability to use objective data to solve problems/create solutions.
• Follows and upholds the veterinary technology profession’s ethical codes.
• Adhere to and lead by the Five Principles.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, and move) up to 50 pounds. Lifting higher weights requires requesting assistance from another associate.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision.
• Occasionally exposed to airborne particles and illness from patients and chemicals related to animal care and office equipment.
• The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
• Environment where pets are present.
• The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Who are we? BluePearl Veterinary Partners grew from the dreams of numerous veterinarians who believed pets should have access to high quality, cutting edge healthcare.
We are seeking hospital support with the same philosophy who are looking to grow their career in an exciting environment with a family atmosphere!
Your success is our success! At BluePearl, the continued education of our techs is paramount. Not only do our techs get to work in state of the art facilities with the best veterinary teams in the nation, but they also have access 90% paid scholarships with Penn Foster and CE allowances. We also go even further to hold monthly CE meetings, associate feedback sessions, and opportunities for mentorship and cross-training.