Appear, the global leader in media processing and delivery technology, today announced that it will demonstrate at IBC2023 (Hall 1. C61) how the efficiency of its elegant engineering has enabled it to become an acknowledged leader in premium global live event contribution.
“We believe that if our engineering is as elegant as possible, then our media processing and transport solutions will always be more power, space, and operationally efficient than our competitors,” said Thomas Bostrøm Jørgensen, CEO at Appear. “This approach has been a critical element in becoming a world-leader in premium live event contribution. At IBC2023, we will show how and why many of the world’s largest rights holders use Appear solutions to get their footage from stadium to studio and beyond.”
Appear supports many of the world’s leading broadcasters, operators and content providers with high quality, low latency media transport, including NBCUniversal, Sky, Megacable, NEP, MLB and NHL. It delivers live contribution services for many of the world’s premier media assets, recently including Eurovision Services for a major tennis tournament in Paris, and PSSI Global for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
Jørgensen concluded: “At IBC, the team and I also look forward to sharing updates on our initial trials of hardware-accelerated SRT (Secure Reliable Transport) – working with major broadcasters and media enterprises, we are enabling them to revolutionise efficiency, ROI and flexibility through transporting high-quality video over the Internet. Traditionally our customers have relied on expensive satellite links and dedicated fibre circuits; the high density of our new hardware-accelerated SRT provides an option to make game-changing reductions to video transport OPEX costs.”
The Appear IBC2023 booth will have a unique sports-bar style experience with three main demonstration pods, showcasing:
- Live contribution with the X Platform, an all-in-one integrated solution, making it possible to create operational efficiencies while saving energy and rack-space.
- A Network Operation Centre (NOC), demonstrating how Appear’s solutions provide operational confidence through workflow security, management and monitoring.
- Linear and OTT distribution with the multiple functionalities and density of the X Platform and XC Platform as well as the high-capacity server-based compression solution, the NEO Series, which has recently been deployed by media companies that are taking back some functionality from the cloud to on-premise, to deliver better cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
“One of the aims of our elegant engineering concept is to make sure that the first iteration of an Appear solution has the correct architecture and all the essential building blocks to make our customers successful, both now and in the future. For instance, at launch our X Platform included a toolset to support the ‘trusted boundaries’ of standards such as SMPTE RP2129. As well as providing amazing functionality, capacity, security and versatility, our elegant engineering concept bakes-in sustainability, as demonstrated in lab tests run by one of Europe’s largest telcos, which saw our solution produce 38x less CO2 and 7x less power per channel than a major competitor,” said Thomas Lind, Director Product Management, Appear.
Solutions on show at IBC2023, include:
X Platform: a high-capacity, versatile, ultra-low latency platform for high-speed video networking, enhanced IP security and advanced compression for the remote production, contribution and distribution markets.
XC Platform: a modular IPTV and broadcast solution supporting content acquisition, compression, stream processing including scrambling and multiplexing, with distribution options for cable, satellite and terrestrial networks.
NEO series: provides all of the benefits of software compression, while removing the complexity found in traditional server-based solutions. To provide the best possible performance, the compression software is pre-installed on Appear hardware, along with fully integrated management, transcoding and streaming.
- ViewNexa™ survey reveals dissatisfaction among subscribers to major streaming services, citing poor content discovery and crackdown on password-sharing - September 28, 2023
- Evergent Expands Presence in Africa with Launch of New Identity and Subscriber Management System for e.tv - September 26, 2023
- Leading Streaming Technology Vendors Join Forces to Offer Pre-Integration of Streaming Workflow with Edgio Managed Services - September 13, 2023