Position: Audio Engineer/Technician, Arts Center
Company: Nazareth College
Location: Rochester NY US
The Audio Engineer/Technician’s primary role is to provide audio support to Arts Complex performances and events as a key member of the production team. This position requires prior experience with live audio reinforcement of orchestral and amplified concerts, musicals and lectures. Must be fully knowledgeable in the use and operation of various 32 & 48 channel audio consoles. The Audio Engineer/Technician has previous experience working with actors, classical musicians, local and tour bands of popular genres, composers, instrumentalists, and vocalists.
While the Arts Complex is a growing and evolving performance center with the addition of new spaces, this technician needs to be a team player and willing to work outside the lines of the traditional engineering roles, across various departments and be a contributing member of the Arts Center team.
The Audio Engineer/Technician will work with students and mentor them in training sessions and one-on-one during Arts Center crew calls.
This position manages a technical team, including staff, student and community stage hands and is an integral member of the staff.
- Serve as Audio Engineer for performances, rehearsals, and events within the Arts Center’s performance spaces. The role of Audio Engineer includes advancing audio and backline needs prior to performance; setting up, operating, and live mixing all sound equipment for performance or event; recoding or documenting performance as needed; and assist in return of any rental equipment after event.
- Advancing, procurement, and maintenance of backline for Arts Center events
- Operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of video projection systems in the Arts Complex spaces
- Assist in training students and community members in audio equipment best practices
- Assist with maintenance of audio equipment and performance communication equipment (headsets, backstage program feeds, and announcements) within all Arts Complex spaces
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff of the academic performing arts departments to support successful academic productions and concerts.
- Construct, assemble, and work collaboratively with lighting equipment, rigging assignments, maintenance and carpentry assignments as a collective member of the Arts Center production team
- Report all unsafe working conditions and Initiate corrective action where possible
- Perform duties of an Assistant Production Manager
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education, Experience, Technology Applications and Skills
- A Bachelors degree and at least 6 years of combined experience in audio engineering/live production mixing and backline tech
- Experience both as a Front of House Engineer and a Monitor Engineer
- Experience with both conventional analog and digital snakes
- Experience with JBL Vertec system configuration, layout, and system troubleshooting
- Experience with mini disk, cd and computer-based playback systems
- Experience with wireless microphones and wired studio, stage, concert and live performance microphones. Experience should include cardioid, super/hyper cardioid, omnidirectional, figure-eight, shotgun, and switchable pattern microphones
- An ideal candidate will be well organized, punctual, professional, work well as a member of a team, and maintain a positive attitude in times of stress
- Ability to successfully manage interpersonal working relationships. As appropriate, collaborate with staff in other units and divisions to achieve the goals of the College.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Handles confidential information sensitively and appropriately.
- Excellent hearing and manual dexterity
- Ability to continuously demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills in dealing with students, faculty, administration and staff. Ability to work effectively as a member of small staff where cooperation and teamwork are the rule.
- Ability to be involved with several activities concurrently, to continually monitor their status, and to prioritize activities so that deadlines are met and overall effectiveness is maximized. These characteristics require an individual with strong organizational skills, detail oriented, and flexible.
- High emphasis placed on professionalism, efficiency and a positive attitude.
- Annual participation in professional development; focuses on acquiring, improving and applying technological and other skills that are essential to achieving the goals of the College.
Preferred Education, Experience, Technology Applications and Skills
- Video projection experience.
- Pro tools certification
Supervising students and community stagehands.
This position requires candidates be able to work in high places and lift, carry, push and pull 50 pounds.
Equipment to be used
- Qlab 4
- JBL LAC II v1.30
- Roland V- mixer M-400 console
- Yamaha TF1
- RF Workbench software
- Avid Pro Tools
- Sure wireless Microphones
- Microsoft Office Suite
Nazareth College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and is committed to diversity in all areas of the campus community. Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the College is appreciated.