Position: CAD & Building Envelope Design Specialist
Company: Building Envelope Technology & Research
Location: Seattle WA US
DEPARTMENT : Architecture & CAD Graphics *POSITION DESCRIPTION: Building Envelope Technology & Research (BET&R) will be hiring a CAD & Building Envelope Design Specialist, whose primary duties are to assist BET&R’s project teams with the production of isometric and section-view CAD details and related drawings, while having opportunity for input into various Project’s exterior building envelope design. This position is responsible for preparing project-specific cladding, fenestration, roofing, and waterproofing details (using Autodesk’s AutoCAD software) under guided direction from BET&R’s senior technical staff. The CAD & Building Envelope Design Specialist will also be tasked with assisting other technical staff members with preliminary design research, sketches, graphic depictions, and draft renderings. The CAD & Building Envelope Design Specialist may also be asked to perform technical writing, some on-site project monitoring, and/or assist with on-site building envelope surveys and testing – all tasks which assist in expanding the selected person’s technical understanding of building technology, building science, and building envelope performance and aspects of construction design. ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Primary Role: CAD & Building Envelope Design Specialist Main Duties:
- CAD Drawings (i.e., isometric and section details, plans, elevations, matrices, schedules, etc.): Prepare cladding, roofing, waterproofing, and fenestration related technical drawings for a variety of building envelope construction projects, both for repair and retrofit of existing buildings, and for new construction projects. Please note: Isometric view detail drawings are BET&R’s standard detail format.
- Hand Sketches: This position requires artistic and technical ability to hand sketch details as in-house concept drafts and in-field sketches.
- Building Envelope Construction Design: Ability to visualize and design flexible and innovative solutions for pre-existing construction and problem conditions.
- Industry Details: Create CAD (occasionally BlueBeam) section and isometric details and drawings for a variety of projects for industry leading associations.
- Technical Library: Assist in upkeep of BET&R’s Detail Library.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR CAD AND BULIDING ENVELOPE DESIGN SPECIALIST:
- Advanced skill and proficiency with Autodesk AutoCAD drawing software.
- Intermediate skill with Adobe Photoshop (or other free-source photo editing software).
- Intermediate skill with Autodesk Revit, and/or Autodesk 3DS Max is a plus (or other free-source 3D modeling software).
- Strong personal time management skills for efficient scheduling and execution of work tasks and proper tracking, as well as, accurate reporting of work and billable time.
- Good verbal and interpersonal communication and collaboration skills to interface with other staff members, clients, and others on Project Team. Communicate in a clear, friendly, and professional manner, while on the phone and in face-to-face or teleconference meetings.
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively with others in a team-oriented environment to balance demands of projects, timelines, work products, and deliverables.
- Well organized and careful, so as to maintain the firm’s digital files, both for organization to preserve an accurate and complete project record and to facilitate clear communication with clients, contractors, other project team members, and BET&R staff.
- Background or some history in construction is desired.
Secondary Role: Monitor/Technologist Secondary Duties (As Necessary):
- Part-time/Spot Field Monitoring of Construction: Travel on-site to monitor on-going construction, checking for and documenting adherence to project documents, quality of application(s), and compliance with industry and manufacturer(s) standards.
- Field Testing, Surveys, and Investigations: Assist with on-site building envelope surveys and material testing, including water testing and infrared thermography. Potential to assist on building evaluations, feasibility reviews, and projects related to construction defect litigation investigations.
- Reports: Prepare building envelope evaluations, surveys, assist with investigations, and prepare field reports.
- Project Manuals: Assist with specifications and written scope of work documents for a variety of Projects.
- Technical Development: Maintain active development of personal technical aptitude through participation in seminars, technical symposia, technical research, etc.
- Other Duties: As assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR ALL BET &R ST AFF, INCLUDING CAD AND DESIGN SPECIALIST:
- Strong ability and desire to work closely and effectively with other team members in a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative workplace.
- Ability to get along with others and be a team-oriented staff member of BET&R.
- Proficiency with Windows 10 OS, Microsoft Office software (Microsoft (MS) Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, etc.) Adobe Acrobat, Chrome/Firefox/IE.
- Pleasant, personable, production oriented, and professional demeanor.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Fluent proficiency in speaking, writing, and understanding English.
- Excellent writing, proofing, editing, and communication skills.
- Agreement to, and signing of, Building Envelope Technology & Research Confidentiality and Non-Competition Agreement.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & REQUIREMENTS:
- Indoor Working Environment: Open and cubical desk layout to facilitate collaborative office conditions. Often extensive use of desktop computer systems while seated.
- Outdoor Working Environment: Construction site conditions, potentially in all types of weather.
- Physical Requirements: Lifting is sometimes required.
- Travel Requirements: Occasional travel for work on-site near the Seattle area or out of state as projects require.
- Work happily and effectively in collaborative environments. Our office requires close cooperation with other staff members to prioritize and maximize efficiency while maintaining BET&R’s high quality standards and meeting the needs of the Client in a prompt and professional manner.
- Consistent and clear communication with clients and other firms of a given Project Team.
- Well organized personal office space, technical files, photos, etc. to facilitate active communication with clients, other Project Team members, and BET&R staff in a timely fashion.
- Carefully maintained Project Files to preserve the firm’s accurate and complete project record.
Job Type: Full-time
- Seattle, WA
- AutoCAD: 2 years