Blackmagic Design has released 1.9.9 a major update for all those URSA camera users out there! The update features 80fps 4K recording, new 3:1 compressed RAW, frame guides, slow-mo playback, CFast formatting, scrolling menus and much more!
Some of the cool talking points to this upgrade is that your record frame rate is not limited by the video frame rate. Meaning, operators can select their recording of slow motion or fast motion from 5fps to 80fps independently from their video frame rate (say at) 24fps! So, some will ask “why and what’s the advantage!?” Well personally, I believe that if you can see the effect of either the higher or slower frame rate when playing from the camera during play back and by knowing in advance, what the clip will look like on the timeline prior to post, the user is one step ahead of the game by determining if they want to execute or dismiss the idea! Plus, the idea of shooting at 80fsp, lets talk about expanding our options for the creative type that reside in us all!
OK, now onto another very cool feature, CinemaDNG 12bit RAW that uses 3:1 compression! The industry definition of compression is -the process of digital data manipulation to reduce the amount of data needed to represent something, i.e: text file, a still image, motion video, or audio. So, now with the new 1.9.9 upgrade URSA users can use 3:1 compression to allow for RAW files to be recorded in one third of the size of uncompressed RAW files. The long and short of it, is that compressed RAW 3:1 format allows higher frames to be recorded in the CFast cards, while retaining all the advantages of RAW recording, where the image processing in software such as DaVinci Resolve can get access to every single bit of quality from the sensor data in the camera.
“This is a massive update for all URSA customers,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “There are so many new features in this software, it’s like having a whole new camera, just by updating the software! We have worked hard on this update and we think this software update is really showing off the power of the URSA hardware design and what it’s capable of doing. There is more to come!”
Some other talking points to the 1.9.9 software upgrade are the addition of multiple new user interface changes. The new Dashboard menu screen offers formatting and setting options. P.S: Formatting your CFast cards in the URSA, enables better performance than a card formatted on a computer. The “slide and glide” enhancement to the scrolling menus are nice, plus settings in the menus can be customized by the cinematographer! The fold out monitor now features enhanced film aspect ratios display, like: 2.35:1, 1.85:1 and more!
If you don’t own the Blackmagic URSA here are 15 nice key features to the camera to consider (if your in the market):
- Large high resolution 4K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality PL or EF mount lenses, depending on model.
- User upgradable design allows customers to upgrade and change the sensor and lens mount.
- Built in dual CFast 2.0 card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Open file formats compatible with popular edit software, such as ProRes, CinemaDNG RAW and CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 in 12 bit. No custom file formats.
- Support for ProRes HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes LT, ProRes Proxy at resolutions up to Ultra HD.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 6G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, 6G-SDI monitoring input, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 3 separate built in LCD monitors for camera settings and metadata entry. Large 10 inch screen folds out for full resolution HD monitoring with wide viewing angle and high brightness.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080 HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 up to 60 fps.
- Liquid cooling system allowing higher frame rates when future sensors support this feature.
- Supports quick release tripod mounts and adding V-Mount or Anton/Bauer mount battery plates.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.
About BlackMagic Design:
Blackmagic Design creates the world’s highest quality video editing products, digital film cameras, color correctors, video converters, video monitoring, routers, live production switchers, disk recorders, waveform monitors and real time film scanners for the feature film, post production and television broadcast industries. Blackmagic Design’s DeckLink capture cards launched a revolution in quality and affordability in post production, while the company’s Emmy™ award winning DaVinci color correction products have dominated the television and film industry since 1984. Blackmagic Design continues ground breaking innovations including 6G-SDI and 12G-SDI products and stereoscopic 3D and Ultra HD workflows. Founded by world leading post production editors and engineers, Blackmagic Design has offices in the USA, UK, Japan, Singapore and Australia. For more information, please go to www.blackmagicdesign.com.