- V-Nova PERSEUS enables higher resolution delivery than H.264 while significantly reducing the data rates required.
- Lower data rates mean more users can benefit from a high-definition experience, with improved visual quality across the range.
- Optimised encoding profiles make more efficient use of network resources.
London, September 7, 2016 – V-Nova Ltd., a leading provider of video compression solutions, has published the results of a further independent evaluation of its V-Nova PERSEUS™ video compression technology.
The evaluation was conducted by independent consultancy informitv and was based on the data rates used by a major national telecommunications service provider, tested with a representative range of high-definition video material, including high-action sports coverage and standard test sequences.
Using V-Nova PERSEUS Hybrid compression, informitv was able to produce an optimised set of encoding profiles at higher resolutions, reducing the overall data rates while maintaining or improving picture quality.
- A 1920×1080 pixel PERSEUS Hybrid encoding at 2,000kbps offered equivalent or better visual quality than the 1280×720 H.264 profile at 3,000kbps employed by the service provider
- PERSEUS enabled 1280×720 encoding at 1,500kbps compared to a 720×408 resolution reference stream at 2,200kbps
- At 1000kps, a 1280×720 PERSEUS powered encoding offered four times the resolution of the reference stream at a similar data rate.
“PERSEUS enables service providers to offer higher resolution video at lower data rates, without compromising picture quality,” said Dr William Cooper of informitv. “This offers users a better viewing experience, particularly over constrained or variable networks.”
Guido Meardi, V-Nova CEO and Co-Founder, added: “This independent evaluation demonstrates that V-Nova PERSEUS offers significant benefits to operators, not only saving network bandwidth but also enabling a high-definition viewing experience to more users over existing networks.
PERSEUS Hybrid encoding uses PERSEUS compression in combination with existing standards such as H.264 to turbocharge video delivery using a software plugin for encoders and decoders.
A white paper documenting the results of the informitv evaluation is available from the V‑Nova website.
Advising people and organisations around the world, informitv provides independent research, expert analysis and confidential consultancy on the transformation of television and video services through new and emerging media technologies. Clients range from investors and new ventures to major multinational corporations.
V-Nova is a London-headquartered software company providing advanced signal compression technology and software solutions to address the dramatic growth in global network traffic. V-Nova is at the heart of digitalisation, serving multiple industry segments, including TV & Media where it provides solutions spanning the entire media delivery chain, from UHD/4K contribution to distribution, to connected devices and set-top-boxes.
V-Nova’s award-winning PERSEUS™ technology closes the gap between evolving capacity needs and limitations associated with legacy compression technologies to process data and video in new ways. This means that data can be transported, stored and secured, faster and more cost-effectively, without the need for network upgrades. V-Nova is driving a new era in TV & Media with ground-breaking software solutions that shift the bitrate-quality curve to enable UHD at HD bitrates, HD at SD bitrates, and SD video at sub-audio bitrates.
V-Nova is empowering a growing number of customers and partners to differentiate their products, increase market reach, and provide new services, all within currently available bandwidth and infrastructure.
For more information contact:
One Sheldon Square
London W2 6TT, UK.
+44 (20) 7046 6270
- Edgio Announces Availability of CMCD Reports - November 28, 2023
- Altman Solon Survey: Amid Sports Spending Boom, 85% of Global Sports Execs Worry Sports Rights Owners Not Meeting the Changing Needs of Media Partners - November 28, 2023
- Evergent Selects Platform Communications as Global PR Partner - November 28, 2023