The demonstration includes UHDTV hybrid infrastructure technology from Semtech, Xilinx, TV-Logic and BES
intoPIX, a leading provider of video compression technologies for FPGA, ASIC and software, demonstrated interoperability of its TICO lightweight compression to transport ultra-high definition video over a next-generation UHDTV hybrid SDI/IP infrastructure featuring advanced technology from Semtech, Xilinx, TVLogic and BES at this year’s SMPTE 2015 Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Hollywood, California, Dolby room, booth 207.
The demonstration featured interoperability of Semtech’s 12Gb/s UHD-SDI interface solutions, including the GS12141 cable equalizer and the GS12181 cable driver in conjunction with intoPIX, compressed SDI/IP solutions using TICO compression technology, a visually lossless, lightweight compression specifically designed for the broadcast industry. The demonstration included FPGA IP cores that support TICO compression and SMPTE ST2022-6 encapsulation provided by Xilinx, a major supplier of FPGA broadcast video solutions, an advanced 55” 12Gb/s UHD-SDI UHDTV monitor by TVLogic, a manufacturer of leading-edge UHDTV broadcast display solutions and a 12Gb/s UHD-SDI patch field, supplied by BES, a supplier of advanced broadcast patch panel products.
“Hybrid SDI/IP infrastructures are being realized today using a combination of SDI and IP technologies. With the requirement to support UHDTV image formats going forward, those same hybrid infrastructures must now also support a combination of base-band UHD-SDI and mezzanine compressed 3G-SDI and IP interfaces,” said Gael Rouvroy, C.T.O over intoPIX.
“The interoperability of Semtech’s UHD-SDI portfolio in a hybrid SDI/IP infrastructure utilizing intoPIX’s TICO light compression technology, will address the critical requirements of broadcasters as they update their facilities with UHDTV enabled infrastructures,” said John Hudson, Director of Strategic Technology and New Business Development for Semtech’s Signal Integrity Product Group. “Advanced UHDTV solutions from Xilinx, TV-Logic and Bes will further drive rapid adoption of next generation UHDTV hybrid SDI/IP infrastructures.”
Key Features of the TICO light compression applied to SDI & IP
TICO light compression : the image coding brings visually lossless quality up to 4:1 with pixel line latency, robustness to multiple coding passes, low power and extremely low complexity in FPGA and software.
- TICO SDI encapsulation: Using TICO with 4:1 compression, 12G-SDI signals can be mapped onto a single 3G-SDI streams avoiding the forbidden values of the SDI. Moreover, it enables to carry TICO UHD/4K streams over IP using SMPTE ST2022-6.
- TICO RTP mapping: without SDI encapsulation, it can be also transported over IP as an independent RTP stream.Resources:
- TICO FPGA & CPU powered Product Page: www.intopix.com/TICO
Latest posts by Curtis Chan (see all)
- OMNIMAGO Selects Xytech’s MediaPulse to Streamline Project Management Needs - November 12, 2019
- La Grange Post Chooses JMR SHARE Networked Storage Serveras Central Storage Hub for Facility - July 17, 2019
- Cucumber & Company Buys JMR SHARE Networked Storage Serverto Centralize Storage Needs - July 17, 2019