Beaverton, Oregon – March 18, 2015 – isovideo announces the powerful and intimate documentary “Chinese Couplets” by Emmy Award-winning independent director/producer Felicia Lowe used their award-winning Viarte digital conversion technology/services for its footage conversion. The film will be world premièred at the CAAM Fest on March 14th and March 21st, 2015. The film will also be released on a major broadcast station later this year.
The documentary follows her passion and long-time quest to trace her family history in order to understand her roots and connect with her mother. As a first generation Chinese-America immigrant, she felt distant and alien to both Chinese and American culture. The film touches upon a controversial part of US history – the Chinese Exclusion Act. The Act resulted in painful barriers for many Chinese families.
Although direct questions to her mother had always remained unanswered, through interesting twist and turns, and heart searching journeys to Cuba and China to see her mother’s village, she eventually deepened her understanding of her family roots. This culminated in her revelation that she and her mother, although so different, are really like a “Chinese Couplet”. The film spans almost two decades, with footage starting from the 1990s, as well as historical footage. The intimate narration by Felicia Lowe herself adds a personal touch.
isovideo was honored to be contracted by the multi-award-winning film post-production company InCA productions. The contract was to convert 40-minutes (over 200 clips) of a variety of mixed content (SD and HD) to a uniform 1920×1080 29.97p. The mixed footage included i) SD/HD interlaced and/or telecined with different aspect ratios, and ii) a variety of progressive footage, such as 23.976p, 25p, 50p, and frame-duplicated 29.97p. In addition, the clips had wildly different levels of noise and film grain. Another factor that made this project even more challenging was the very tight schedule.
Using isovideo award-winning Viarte motion-compensated processing technology, featuring
- 100% vertical resolution deinterlacing,
- sophisticated inverse telecine,
- cinema quality frame rate conversion,
- breakthrough quality noise reduction,
- detail/edge-sharpening up-scaling, and
- aspect ratio conversion, as well as
all footages were successfully converted to specification in time and on budget without any redos.
High quality conforming of a variety of footage spanning almost 100 years into a common HD or UHD format in a very short time and at an affordable price has hitherto been impossible. “isovideo’s award winning Viarte-based digital conversion technology and services offers content owners peace of mind – no matter what format they are shooting in, they can always achieve that superior film look as they envisioned it, and in a timely and cost effective manner,” said Keith Slavin, CTO of isovideo.
- isovideo Announces New Stunning-Quality HDR/HLG/SDR HD/UHD/4K Conversion Self Service withSteep Cost and Time Savings and 100 free film Post-NAB Promotion - April 25, 2018
- isovideo to showcase its Visually-Optimized HDR to SDR Tone-Mapping & SDR to HDR Conversion Solutions at SMPTE2016 - October 10, 2016
- NAB 2016 Latest – isovideo to Demonstrate Visually-Optimized HDR to SDR Tone-Mapping and HEVC on Noise Reduced HDR Content - April 11, 2016