Mobile Viewpoint, a leader in IP contribution solutions, today announces the launch of 5GXLink, the first 5G-ready bonding device to enable fast transmission of live content from the latest Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone X smartphone devices. To remain competitive, broadcasters are increasingly under pressure to capture and transmit content to live newsfeeds or the studio to deliver live content from the field – for example news, sport and entertainment – as soon as it happens. 5GXLink is designed to connect to an SDI camera to accelerate the transmission of content through the latest iPhone 8 and iPhone X models, allowing camera crews and journalists to transmit content instantaneously. The newest product will be exhibited at Mobile Viewpoint’s on-stand news studio at IBC 2018.
5GXLink enables live content shot on a professional camera to be transmitted through a smartphone connection, effectively turning it into a Connected Camera. Designed to be compatible with any smartphone, 5GXLink now supports content transmission from the Apple iPhone 6, 7, 8 and X models, as well as Android devices. Once 5G networks are launched, the 5G-ready bonding device will give journalists and camera crews the ability to transfer content files via private 5G networks, as a cost-effective alternative to COFDM modulation.
The ability to connect an SDI camera to a smartphone enables camera crews to go live in an emergency or unexpected incident, wherever they may be. The 5GXLink sleeve has been designed to fit into a camera bag, meaning camera crews and journalists in the field are not held back by multiple units. An internal 5000mAh battery also ensures that a camera can go several hours on air, even when the battery is low.
At IBC, Mobile Viewpoint will demonstrate how 5GXLink, and its other solutions meet broadcasters’ and content owners’ requirements for fast, simple, cost-efficient content contribution, as they respond to the rapid rise in content consumption. The products to be exhibited have been designed to provide broadcasters and smaller content owners with the tools to produce and distribute their own live content, without the need for expensive equipment or camera crews and production teams.
Alongside 5GXLink, Mobile Viewpoint’s showcase of solutions will include:
- IQ Sports Producer: An all-in-one production suite which can be used to produce and stream sports events from any location. Removing the need for a dedicated camera crew, the AI-driven product is targeted at smaller and lower-league sports clubs and teams. IQ Sports Producer is made up of a fixed-position 24MP 180° camera that can cover an entire play field, a dedicated appliance with Mobile Viewpoint’s AI engine, and IQ Sports Producer Software. The AI engine is used to track players, balls or other objects during a live match game.
- LinkMix: A real-time switching and playout centre that creates and manages playlists, overlays, live switches and tickertapes, to enable the complete production of IPTV sports channels on Vimeo and Facebook.
- Multicam IP Contribution Devices: Mobile Viewpoint will exhibit TerraLink-4C Multicam, a rack mount bonded transmitter that enables multi-camera shoots without the need of an OB van on site.
- HyperSense: A fully-supported application box which includes AI Indexer, a tool that analyses and logs metadata based on object, speech and facial recognition algorithms, as well as Smart Storage and Video Search, which stores video and logs metadata in accessible formats, enhancing the value of their video by enabling archives to be searched on more than just text.
“Broadcasters want to deliver breaking news and report on live events as they happen,” said Michel Bais, CEO at Mobile Viewpoint. “Which means more and more camera crews and journalists are using smartphones to capture live content in the field. But this does not meet the quality of a professional SDI camera and files cannot be transmitted live either. We’ve designed 5GXLink to solve this problem, enabling camera crews and journalists to share high-quality content live from wherever they may be.”
Mobile Viewpoint will be demonstrating its range of live production and delivery solutions, including 5GXLink, at IBC, taking place from 13th-18th September at RAI Amsterdam, on stand 14.F24.
- Mobile Viewpoint launches BaseLink and TerraLink Mini to support live video streaming - September 12, 2018
- Mobile Viewpoint launches the first 5G-ready wireless video link for live content - September 12, 2018
- Mobile Viewpoint unveils AI powered live production suite VPilot - September 10, 2018