Movie Feature Writer
About the Job
If you are a thoughtful and analytical yet original writer with a passion for movies and an ability to hit consistent deadlines, we want you. Feature Writers will be responsible for covering topical analyses of recent and classic films whose legacy can be felt by modern audience. You must be able to communicate why these article topics matters to moviegoers and how they fit into the landscape of the film industry at large.
We are a growing company with room for talented and driven writers to rise quickly. That being said, please note that the position is UNPAID and oriented toward those looking for valuable experience. Regardless, this position is an opportunity to get behind the scenes and work for a respectable online entertainment publication.
As an integral part of a passionate team that loves talking about movies, you’ll abide by a schedule that works for you. Mind you, this is not a full-time position, but will require a regular time commitment of at least 3-6 hours per week. All work is done remotely/from home although there are opportunities to attend press events for those in Los Angeles and New York.
Must be able to write between 4-6 articles per week
Must be able to self-edit articles and work within your stated deadlines
Must have a unique and creative writing voice
What We Expect from Mxdwn Applicants:
● You love movies and love talking about movies.
● You’re excited by ideas and want to drive conversation surrounding
movies and movie industry news.
● You have demonstrable writing experience, including experience
reviewing movies. Please send us two samples or direct links to samples of your best work. Applications without writing samples will not be considered.
● You live in L.A. or New York and are generally able to attend screenings in the evenings.
● You’re awesome at internet research and know how to find reputable information about anything in just a few minutes.
● You’re familiar with the film industry as a whole and understand running industry trends.
We’ll Be Extra-Excited If…
● You’ve worked in the film industry or have prior experience covering
● You know and/or are connected with a particular subsection of the film
industry (like if you’re the Lion King of all things Disney animation).
● You’re familiar with things like WordPress, Google Drive, Slack, and
really basic HTML.
● You’ve got a track record of developing unique feature and opinion
● You can break down a movie and explain complex filmmaking decisions
to a lay audience.
If you think you might be a good fit for us, please let us know a little bit about yourself and your experience in an email attached with your resume, two writing samples and the subject line “FEATURE WRITER,” followed by the title of your favorite Tom Hanks movie so we know that you’ve read and understand all of the above posting and are not a robot.
More about the company
Mxdwn.com is an established online entertainment magazine that focuses on news, original reviews, features, photography and interviews. We are a leader and innovator in providing dynamic entertainment content.