Multimedia Reporter and Producer
About the Job
4 Global View
Troy NY 12180
Title: Multimedia Reporter and Producer
Department: Content and Engagement
Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: VP, Chief Content Officer
The Multimedia Reporter and Producer reports to the VP, Chief Content and Engagement Officer. They work primarily in the Public Affairs content vertical, but this position’ scope is varied and includes work across the Content and Engagement Department. The position will primarily support broadcast and digital public affairs efforts, including WMHT’s award-winning New York NOW (approximately 75%), and will also at times support our Education and Arts and Culture content verticals (approximately 25%).
The Multimedia Reporter and Producer creates and publishes content across multiple platforms. They are equally at ease recording an audio interview for a podcast project, editing a vox pop video interview for digital distribution, or interviewing a newsmaker in the studio for a broadcast television segment.
The Multimedia Reporter and Producer has excellent communication skills, is a talented writer, and engages effectively with the public. This position is public facing. The Multimedia Reporter and Producer represents WMHT in the digital world, utilizes social media to share content on a consistent and on-going basis, and use social platforms to source stories.
The Multimedia Reporter and Producer is committed to a public media model that values community engagement, a model that listens and responds to the community. The Multimedia Reporter and Producer participates in station activities, presents to the community advisory board, the board of directors, and represents WMHT at community events.
Producers at WMHT have excellent writing and critical thinking skills. They are creative problem solvers and self-starters who are technically proficient and are an active part of production team at WMHT. Producers work collaboratively at WMHT. They participate in editorial meetings, share problems, and find solutions.
SPECIFIC OPERATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Produces text-based, audio, video, journalism content
Appears as talent on video and audio reports
Records video and audio for broadcast and digital distribution
Creates and publishes multimedia social media content
Edits video and audio for broadcast and digital distribution
Maintains working knowledge of tools and equipment specific to job responsibilities; attends training sessions as assigned
Works collaboratively with internal partners to achieve the highest quality finished product
Assists in station-wide projects and corporate fund-raising efforts
Carries out related duties as assigned.
Adheres to editorial standards set by the company
• Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, communications or related field, or equivalent training in production
• Commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting
• Strong commitment to excellence in the finished product; ability to work successfully either independently or as a team member
• Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs., carry out frequent reaching, stretching, twisting and bending. Standing for up to two hours at one time and sitting for extended periods
• Excellent sight, hearing and manual dexterity are also required to operate equipment.
• Demonstrated technical skill in professional field
• Ability to maintain a flexible schedule
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work cooperatively with people at all levels in the organization and clients, to work under pressure of deadlines
• A valid New York State driver’s license and good driving record is required for all WMHT positions
• Demonstrated knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Suite of tools (Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Audition), Microsoft Office, and Trello