Position: New Product Introduction (NPI) Manufacturing Engineer
Location: San Jose CA US
Petasense is a Silicon Valley startup in the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) space. Our vision is to make every industrial plant leverage predictive analytics to increase productivity. We are backed by top Silicon Valley venture capital firms.
The number of connected devices is exploding from 5 billion today to more than 40 billion by 2020. A large part of this connectivity will happen in the industrial world, where many current technologies are expensive and archaic. Petasense is disrupting and democratizing this market with its connected sensors. Read more about it here: petasense.com/company/news/
In the past year we released our first product: the Petasense Vibration Mote – the Fitbit for industrial machines . It is a battery-powered wireless vibration sensor which monitors the health of rotating machines (e.g. induction motors, pumps, compressors). These machines are ubiquitous in power plants, refineries, and manufacturing plants. The heart of the product is the Petasense Cloud which uses machine learning to predict failure of industrial equipment.
Our diverse team consists of people who have built enterprise & wireless startups and have worked at blue chip companies like Bosch, Cisco, Nokia, Deloitte, Citrix and Fab.com. The founding team consists of MIT and UC Berkeley alums. You can check out our team in this video: youtu.be/_O7qkRxQQ9g
Petasense is looking for a full-time manufacturing engineer for scaling the manufacturing of our exciting Industrial IoT product line. We are looking for an engineer who has experience in the New Product Introduction (NPI) process and has worked with SMT assembly, injection molders and CNC machine shops. We also want a professional who is good at vendor evaluation, negotiations and project management and can help Petasense achieve its aggressive delivery schedules and minimize bill of material cost.
- Drive Petasense engineering and pre-production builds from a technical, operational and materials-management perspective
- Collaborate with CMs/vendors and Petasense engineers to establish tools, jigs/fixtures, process controls, and quality control standards.
- Lead analysis, development and implementation of new manufacturing processes and technology, making innovative modifications to existing processes to reduce cost.
- Provide support, troubleshooting, debugging for production batches/current operations.
- Manage and oversee sourcing and supply chain for electronic components and mechanical parts from overseas suppliers, communicating product requirements, ensuring supplier quality, and negotiating price.
- Review and discuss with engineering team all engineering change notices.
- Streamline manufacturing and supply chain of our current and future IoT products
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/electrical engineering or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in electronic device manufacturing environment, specifically doing NPI
- Familiar with scaling the manufacturing of a commercially available product
- Familiar with using laboratory electronics testing equipment (oscilloscope, multimeter, power supplies)
- Good written and communication skills
- Proven ability to run projects within budgeted time, quality & cost
- Candidate must be extremely well organized and detail oriented
- Travel requirements: Must be willing to travel to various vendors within the USA and offshore
- Experience at a Startup
- Basic experience in using CAD software (Creo preferred, SolidWorks ok)
- Experience using Gantt charts
- Able to program oscilloscope (Python/MATLAB/LabVIEW/C ok)
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese (written and spoken) is a plus
- Knowledge of IPC, FCC, and hazardous location standards is a plus
Job Type: Full-time
- Manufacturing: 3 years