About the job
ABOUT US: Broadcasting since 1953, we are Portland’s CBS affiliate, providing local news, network and syndicated entertainment to viewers in Oregon and SW Washington. We are Watching Out For You with 33 hours of local news broadcasts each week, featuring award-winning, in-depth investigations, news, weather and traffic.
JOB SUMMARY: The producer delivers and contributes accurate, visual, news content across all media platforms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for evaluating stories; organizing them into a cohesive sequence within a newscast or digital content for the web.
• Oversees writing, production, and timing of broadcast or on-line publication.
• Define strategic direction for content coverage to meet business objectives.
• Manage news room, contribute to the editorial process and make solid decisions in breaking news situations.
• Monitor postproduction processes to ensure accurate completion of details.
• Execute strategies that engage and grow audiences across all digital devices.
• Write, produce and edit material that appeals to target audiences.
• Research production topics using the internet, video archives, and other information sources.
• Must be able to interact well with video journalists, anchors, videographers, news managers, production and engineering staff.
• Detail oriented; proficient in non-linear editing.
• Excellent verbal, written, grammar and analytical skills.
• Strong news judgment, journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations.
• Knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
• Ability to meet quality standards for service & evaluate customer satisfaction.
• Proficient in non-linear editing.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelors Degree in Communications, TV/film or equivalent experience may substitute + 5 years experience in television or radio broadcast/production.
TRAINING/EQUIPMENT: Utilize state-of-the-art television technology; MS Outlook, E-mail.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Some travel may be required on an occasional basis.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
No phone calls or drop-ins.