Adelaide, South Australia— Digital artists will learn how to create realistic explosions, smoke, fire and other dynamic visual effects though a new training class from Rising Sun Pictures. Introduction to Dynamic Effects for Feature Film Using Houdini will introduce students to a software program that has become a standard tool in feature film and high-end television production, especially for working with complex particle systems. The course will be taught by visual effects artist Thomas Cant whose many credits include X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Developed by Side Effects, Houdini is a powerful 3D animation platform with a procedural, node-based workflow. Artists proficient in its use are in high demand worldwide. In the latest offering from RSP’s highly-regarded training program, Thomas Cant teaches students the basics of working with this highly flexible program in a simulated production environment. By the end of the course, students will have created their own realistic dynamic effects. 3D assets will be provided by RSP.
The course will cover:
- Launching Houdini.
- UI navigation.
- Contexts: SOP, ROP, DOP, VOP, SHOP, COP, CHOP, etc.
- Basic structure of a HIP file.
- Best practices: node labelling and coloring. Procedural/node-based workflow.
- HDAs (Houdini Digital Assets).
- SOPs 1 – Working with geometry/modelling.
- What wires mean passing along “geometry.”
- Points, primitives and attributes.
- Attribute data types: Integers, floats, vectors, strings. Groups and selections, partition.
- Procedural modelling.
- Attribute transfer, ray.
- Iteration: Solver, ForEach, Copy.
- Converting between different geometry types.
- The importance of nulls.
- VOPs in SOPs (AttribVop, PointVop, PrimVop)
Introduction to Dynamic Effects for Feature Film Using Houdini comprises 10 weekly session beginning Wednesday, 27th January 2016. Classes will be held on Wednesdays from 6.30pm to 9.30 pm at Rising Sun Pictures, Level1, 180 Pulteney St, Adelaide SA 5000.
Enrollment is available through Everbrite at www.eventbrite.com.au/e/intro-to-dynamic-fx-for-film-using-houdini-tickets-18710393290
Rising Sun Pictures has been offering training for visual effects artists since 2013. Classes are small in size and emphasize practical, commercially viable skills. Its regular training program has produced dozens of graduates many of whom have found work as junior artists at visual effects studios in Australia and elsewhere.
For more information about training at Rising Sun Pictures, visit education.rsp.com.au
About Rising Sun Pictures:
Rising Sun Pictures are a passionate team of producers, artists and technicians, known globally for delivering complex visual effects on high profile feature film and television projects. Our clients are inspired by the creative and technical solutions we deliver, and our team is integral in providing a truly collaborative experience. RSP is currently working on Pan, Tarzan and Gods of Egypt, with recent film credits including X-Men: Days of Future Past, Gravity, The Seventh Son, The Wolverine, The Great Gatsby, The Hunger Games, Prometheus, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Green Lantern and the final five Harry Potter films.
More Info at www.rsp.com.au
- Goldcrest Post Prepares “Cat Person” for Sundance Premiere - February 1, 2023
- Colorist Society Hollywood Launches Podcast Series - January 31, 2023
- SMPTE Hollywood to Explore NDI® (Network Device Interface), January 25, in Free, Zoom Event - January 24, 2023