Simplestream, a leading provider of video services for the media and entertainment industry, today announced it that its Cloud TV platform has been chosen by NWSL Media (a joint venture between the National Women’s Soccer League and A+E Networks) to deliver a crowd-pleasing multiscreen streaming service for America’s premier women’s soccer league.
Simplestream’s modular Cloud TV platform provides an end-to-end service, including live streaming, Live-2-VOD and Video On Demand capabilities within a unified workflow:
- Live Event Streaming: Over 120 live matches per season are streamed outside the US to international audiences in high definition, with embedded real-time sports data provided by Opta. Whilst watching, fans can view synchronised scores, line-ups, play-by-play and box score data across desktop and mobile platforms.
- Live-2-VOD: browser-based editing simplifies the creation of in-game highlights, including one-click publishing to NWSL properties and social media sites. Post-game, Opta data is used to automate the creation of match replays.
- On Demand: comprehensive OVP (Online Video Platform) functionality including multi-bitrate encoding, HTML5 video player, image management and publishing rules are supplemented with advanced metadata management, including the ability to tag videos to any team, game or player. Integrated metadata from Opta, provides NWSL editors with a fast and efficient way to publish video clips.
At launch, the service, which was built in less than 12 weeks, is available for free to users internationally on the web (at www.nwslsoccer.com), and iOS devices. It is expected to roll out to Android and other devices later this year.
In addition to the international streaming services, NWSL matches are also streamed live inside the US on myLifetime.com, the popular online destination of the Lifetime network, with match replays available after 48 hours on the NWSL website and apps. Simplestream’s rights management module controls the availability of content, both live and on-demand, across territories.
The NWSL deployment builds upon Simplestream’s existing relationship with A+E Networks, for whom it already provides TV Everywhere distribution services in Europe.
“NWSL Media called upon Simplestream to help build great digital platforms for the National Women’s Soccer League’s passionate fan base,” says Evan Silverman – EVP, Digital Media, A+E Networks. “With their end-to-end OTT expertise, Simplestream delivered under intense time pressure, and we’re pleased to now have improved digital services and platforms to showcase the talented NWSL players.”
“The NWSL has grown considerably, and this service provides soccer fans with the opportunity to enjoy much more live and recorded action plus in-depth stats to interact with,” commented Dan Finch, Chief Commercial Officer, Simplestream.
“This partnership enables the NWSL to provide its rapidly growing fan base with one of the most cutting-edge, interactive global live streaming sports services available today” concluded Finch.
At NAB this year, Simplestream will be showcasing its latest solutions for live streaming, catch-up and VOD (stand #SU12806CM) with on-booth demonstrations of its Cloud TV platform. Simplestream will also host a seminar entitled “The improving economics of international OTT distribution” in the Connected Media|IP theatre on Tuesday, April 25 from 14:30 – 15:00 and participate in the “Can cloud-based services reduce CAPEX/OPEX for TV and content providers?” panel on Wednesday, April 26 from 13:45 – 14:30.
About Cloud TV Platform
Simplestream’s Cloud TV Platform is an end-to-end, white label solution that enables pay TV operators, broadcasters and sports federations to rapidly deploy next-generation TV Everywhere services across multiple screens and territories. The solution includes support for unlimited live channels or events, automated catch-up, real-time video editing, premium VOD delivery and comprehensive user, rights and metadata management. Cloud TV Platform is built from modules in its Media Manager platform – a comprehensive suite of powerful cloud services that underpin a number of the most compelling and interactive video services in the industry. This modular approach, using a range of virtualized components, enables fast service deployments, robust scalability and the flexibility to integrate with any existing technology platform. Modules include: Live, Live to VOD, Virtual Playout, Asset/User Management, Syndication and Cloud Editor.
- Bitcentral’s ViewNexa™ partners with Argoid AI to drive enhanced, personalized, and engaging streaming experiences for customers - February 20, 2024
- Platform Communications launches expanded content marketing offering with the appointment of James McKeown - February 19, 2024
- Planetcast launches its NexC cloud-first architecture to enable Media Companies to beat today’s ‘Complexity Challenge’ - February 7, 2024