LOS ANGELES — The Hollywood Section of SMPTE®, the organization that is defining the future of storytelling, will focus on cybersecurity at its monthly meeting slated for Thursday, April 25, at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Los Angeles.
Cyberthreats pose an immeasurable risk to Hollywood’s intellectual property. With the proliferation of third-party vendors responsible for creating and housing pre-release content, there is a clear need for a consistent set of security standards and an effective means of assessing facilities, processes, and workflows.
At its April meeting, SMPTE Hollywood will host a panel of experts who will describe current threats from cybercrime and a new effort to combat them. The Trusted Partner Network (TPN) is a voluntary, industry-wide program spearheaded by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Content Delivery and Security Association (CDSA) with the support of the major Hollywood studios and content owners.
Security expert John Kronick will open the discussion by outlining the need for robust content security and describe the scope of the risk through real-world examples of cyberattacks. Guy Finley and Keith Ritlop, two of the architects of TPT, will discuss the organization’s formation and aims. The panel discussion to follow will add the perspectives of Convergent Risks executive Janice Pearson, TPN qualified assessor Juan Reyes, and Pixelogic Media security chief Rick Soto.
- John Kronick, regional director of risk management and compliance at NCC Group
- Guy Finley, executive director of CDSA and CEO of the TPN
- Keith Ritlop, chair of the app and cloud subcommittee of the TPN
- Janice Pearson, vice president, global content protection, at Convergent Risks
- Juan Reyes, senior director, home entertainment and technology, at Convergent Risks and TPN qualified assessor
- Rick Soto, vice president of global IT infrastructure and security at Pixelogic Media
Ramón Bretón, chief technology officer at 3rd i Digital, and Juan Reyes are producing the meeting.
What: SMPTE Hollywood Section, April Meeting
Topic: Hollywood’s Evolving Approach to Cybersecurity
When: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 6:30 p.m. — Reception, 7:30 p.m. — Presentation and Panel Discussion
Where: Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Linwood Dunn Theater, 1313 Vine St., Los Angeles, CA 90028
As always, SMPTE meetings are FREE and open to everyone. Non-members welcome.
About the SMPTE® Hollywood Section
The Hollywood Section of SMPTE® was initially organized as the West Coast Section in 1928. Today, as its own SMPTE Region, it encompasses more than 1,200 SMPTE Members with a common interest in motion-imaging technology in the Greater Los Angeles area. The Hollywood Section offers free meetings monthly that are open to SMPTE Members and non-members alike. Information about meetings is posted on the Section website at www.smpte.org/hollywood.
The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers®, or SMPTE, is defining the future of storytelling. The Society’s mission is to enable the technical framework that allows the global professional community to make media for artistic, educational, and entertainment purposes and to distribute that content for the benefit and enjoyment of people worldwide. As a global volunteer-driven society of technologists, developers, and creatives, SMPTE is engaged in driving the quality and evolution of motion pictures, television, and professional media. The Society sets industry standards that help businesses maximize their markets more cost-effectively, provides relevant education that supports members’ career growth, and fosters an engaged and diverse membership community.
All trademarks appearing herein are the properties of their respective owners.
- MTI Film Welcomes Industry Veteran Brian Gaffney as VP of Product for Software Division - December 4, 2023
- Patton Oswalt to Host the 71st Annual MPSE Golden Reel Awards - November 27, 2023
- “The Equalizer 3”: Veteran Sound Team from Sony Pictures Post Production Services Helps Bring the Saga of Robert McCall to a Thrilling Conclusion - November 21, 2023