Position: Theater AV Technician
Location: New York NY US
TED is a critically acclaimed, award-winning conference and website featuring inspired talks from the world’s leading thinkers and doers. Since 2006, our talks have been watched more than 10 billion times worldwide.
We are currently seeking a Theater & Studio A/V Technician for live multi-camera shoots in our brand new theatrical venue, located at TED Headquarters in Soho.
This technician will be joining a production team that produces a wide range of content within the theater space – from the signature TED Talks that post on TED.com to a variety of internal and public-facing events. We are seeking a person with video engineering skills first and foremost, plus a working knowledge of all studio functions including; camera operation, graphics, lighting, switching and projector operation, IMAG projection with live-stream broadcast and multiple source recording. This AV Technician will be responsible for the patching, maintaining and trouble shooting in the control room as well as throughout the theater. They will work with 5 camera feeds, graphics feeds and audio sources.
Some projects will require the AV Technician to supervise a production crew, while other projects will be minimally staffed using remotely operated cameras. The AV Technician reports to the Theater Video Producer and will work closely with our in house engineer.
- 5+ years working in a theatrical venue and/or broadcast studio
- Up-to-date knowledge of modern control rooms, digital video and audio production, cameras, and broadcast studio technology.
- The ability to operate video conferencing and livestreaming technology.
- A solid understanding of audio mixers, microphones, monitoring and patching.
- Can comfortably operate routers, patch bays and signal flow and can troubleshoot issues like sync issues in records and IMAG.
- Basic understanding of video and theatrical lighting, DMX control and color temperature, building and tear down including: moving, basic rigging and dismantling props and set elements including flats, pipe and drape and custom props.
- Strong understanding of theater, studio and workplace safety including use of tools, ladders, steps, safety tape, safety chain, sash and sandbags.
- Knowledge of grip equipment sufficient to safely and rapidly rig lighting, monitoring and other broadcast equipment securely in and around the theater.
- Ability to take the lead on larger technical projects to build out theater capacity or change technical functions over time, while working closely with TED video production staff to keep the theater aligned with TED video best practices.
- Resourceful, with strong analytical problem solving skills.
- Calm and cheerful under pressure. Ability to troubleshoot in real time.
- Experience working with hand and power tools.
- Organized with strong sense of prioritization.
- Eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Works well as part of a team and enjoys a collaborative atmosphere.
- Willingness to learn and potentially step in to help with other areas of the theater, when necessary.
- Willingness to share both humble and grand duties.
- Business owners mind set – initiate care and maintenance of facilities, anticipate potential issues prior to events.
TED is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity. We encourage applicants of any background to apply. This is a full time position based in New York City. Salary commensurate with experience. Hiring immediately.