Vice President Business/Legal Affairs
About the Job
About us: Emmy award winning production company that creates a broad range of scripted and unscripted programing for television and digital platforms. Our shows are on popular networks such as Bravo, A&E, Discovery, History and more.
Summary: We are looking for an experienced attorney to handle our Business & Legal Affairs. Successful candidate will be responsible for managing legal matters for the company’s domestic television development and production slate, content acquisition, international distribution and general corporate. Candidate must be able to manage the company’s overall risk, advise senior executives and supervise the Business & Legal Affairs activities.
This is a full-time position that carries full benefits.
• Manage business affairs and legal matters with respect to company’s development slate, productions, content acquisitions, international content licenses and general corporate.
• Negotiate and draft agreements with networks, producers, talent, rightsholders, distributors and licensees, including shopping, option, production services, license, rights acquisition, co-production, and talent services agreements.
• Production attorney on company productions, including drafting releases, talent agreements, advising on legal issues on productions as they arise, training production staff with respect to safety and other legal-related issues and devising policies with respect to risk mitigation on productions. Review cuts of all productions for clearance and compliance and provide notes. Coordinate with network attorneys and production staff as appropriate, and act as company’s legal contact for networks and production staff.
• Advise senior executives and other employees on issues relating to deal structuring, risk and risk mitigation strategy and corporate policy.
• Supervise outside counsel.
• Juris Doctor (JD) and membership in good standing to the NY or another state bar.
• At least 5 years’ experience working in television business affairs, legal affairs and/or production legal for a television network or studio, or for a recognized production company or entertainment law firm. Experience negotiating and drafting contracts related to television development, production, international licensing, acquisition and co-production.
• Familiarity with production clearance issues.
• Knowledge of the entertainment business, the media landscape and guild rules and regulations.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with proven ability advising senior executives and managing junior team members.
• Ability to manage a heavy workload in a fast-paced environment with a high level of organization. Strong relationships with producers, executives, agents, attorneys and network representatives is a plus.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and generous benefits, including, health, dental, 401(K), paid vacation, and holidays. Compensation is and title will be determined upon the candidate’s experience.
*Job requires 2-3 days/week on site in the NY office
Please Send Resumes via Media Match.