About the Job
ABOUT DAY’S EDGE PRODUCTIONS
Understanding our world and where we fit into it is what gets us out of bed. Day’s Edge Productions is an award-winning media company dedicated to telling true stories about science, nature, and their intersections with human culture. We work around the world with broadcasters, NGOs, scientists, universities, and brands to tell stories with breathtaking visuals, compelling characters, and vital messages. Our projects include broadcast documentaries, web series, educational videos, advocacy films, promotional campaigns, and photo stories. Day’s Edge is committed to taking our audiences to the wildest places on earth and the frontiers of our scientific knowledge, while exploring our own histories and cultures in this rapidly-changing world. We want you to join us.
WHAT YOU’LL GET OUT OF THIS OPPORTUNITY
– Collaborative culture in an exciting work environment
– Opportunity to work on stories for a broad range of platforms (Television, Streaming, Web, Education, NGOs, Brands, Magazines).
– Opportunity to work on cutting-edge science stories
– Extensive domestic and international travel
– Opportunity to work on a primetime broadcast science series
– Growth opportunities within a growing company
– Competitive base salary
– A reason to live in San Diego (willing to help with relocation costs)
ABOUT THE ROLE
Day’s Edge is seeking a full-time Producer to create documentary stories that matter about people, places, organisms and ideas that make this world worth inhabiting and protecting. You will be developing, producing, co-producing, and writing broadcast television, web-series and shorts, advocacy films, media campaigns, branded stories and more. You will be based in San Diego, but will travel domestically and around the world. The role includes, but is not limited to:
– PITCHING: creating pitch decks, ideas, writing treatments, presenting ideas at festivals and conferences, etc.
– DEVELOPMENT: creating new project ideas, developing existing concepts into full show treatments, finding and working with 3rd party collaborators, creating budgets, etc.
– RESEARCH: delving into the literature (peer-reviewed and otherwise) about science, conservation, natural history, history and culture topics, finding locations and characters for stories, etc.
– PRE-PRODUCTION: assembling production crew, organizing logistics, coordinating and purchasing travel and accommodation for the team, coordinating interviews and character schedules, location scouting, location and appearance releases and permits, etc.
– FIELD PRODUCTION: Directing films, managing production crew, interacting with clients and story characters, filming, sound, managing paperwork and releases, data backup and management, maintaining and organizing financial records of expenses, etc.
– WRITING: pitch decks, treatments, shooting scripts, scripts, loglines, grants etc.
– POST-PRODUCTION: Ingest, log, and organize footage from shoots. Edit films and/or supervise an editor using Adobe Premiere (editing skills are a plus) and other elements of the Adobe Creative Cloud. Coordinate with color/sound studios for finishing. Move completed films through legal / standards review with clients, prepare binders, etc.
– PROMOTION & DISTRIBUTION: communicating and negotiating with broadcasters and other distribution partners, promoting projects on social media, writing press releases, attending screenings and other promotional events, etc.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
– Experience as a documentary producer (Television experience is a plus)
– Passion for science, technology, natural history, and culture (science background a plus)
– Willingness to travel extensively as needed
– Experience with the logistics of video / television production (visas, permits, transporting equipment, managing small production teams, etc.)
– Experience writing documentary scripts
– Experience with development and research for nonfiction stories
– Positive, hard-working, can-do attitude
– Collaborative attitude
– Openness to feedback and challenge
– A desire for continuous learning and improvement
– Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
– Communication, organizational, and time management skills
– Initiative in solving new problems as they arise, both technical and creative
– Experience in the Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly in Premiere Pro. Experience in DaVinci Resolve and After Effects is a plus.
– Attention to detail
– Ability to learn quickly
– Pride in efficient work
– Aptitude for understanding the technical aspects of filmmaking
– Basic understanding of cameras and other filmmaking equipment
Please send the following:
– Cover letter describing who you are, why you’d like to join our team?
– Links to 3 examples of your best previous work in the nonfiction / documentary field (with descriptions of your role in those projects)
– 2-3 references + contact information