Zodiac expands MediaFirst offering to any digital set-top at any type of operator
NEW YORK (September 13, 2018) – Zodiac, a software vendor serving video operators, announced today it has partnered with MediaKind, a global media technology leader. Zodiac’s software platform enables MediaKind’s MediaFirst TV user experience (UX) to run on any digital set-top box, new or old, via a software update only and with no need for a truckroll. The combined MediaKind and Zodiac solution delivers an unprecedented value proposition for operators, including the ability to:
- Reduce churn by enhancing the UX across the entire footprint with MediaFirst’s compelling graphics-rich content discovery and available catch-up TV, advanced search, voice search, etc.
- Deploy browser-based applications and OTT services deep into the legacy set-top footprint, including licensed Netflix, Youtube, Facebook, etc. apps
- Increase revenue with advanced analytics by extending data collection, audience measurement and targeted advertising monetization to all set-tops of any vintage
- Ease operations by unifying set-top and BSS/OSS environments. Run video services via a network console with advanced monitoring, predictive outage alerts and self-healing workflows
- Save considerable capital expenditures by extending the life of deployed subscriber and network hardware configurations with a new, remotely deployed/managed software platform
The Zodiac platform focuses local set-top resources on running the best possible native or browser-based UX. Meta data translation, multi-protocol support, BSS/OSS orchestration and other strenuous set-top functions are handled by the Zodiac cloud and messaged to set-tops via any network “pipe” available. The result is a unified software environment that dramatically simplifies the video network. Zodiac’s software today runs over 130 different set-top models spanning a variety of vendors and chipsets at Tier I operators including Charter, Altice (Cablevision) and Rogers.
Competing solutions add operational complexity by requiring new hardware to be deployed before any benefit is received, requiring considerable capital expenditure and in most cases truckrolls to every customer. Such a hardware transition represents an enormous investment and a slow, difficult, long-term upgrade cycle, potentially requiring a decade or more until all customers get any benefit.
“Video technology vendors have always tied new features with costly new cap-and-grow hardware deployments that only benefit the lucky customers getting a new set-top,” said Rich Neill, Zodiac’s EVP Engineering And Technology. “With MediaKind, we have decoupled software strategies from hardware capex so the entire footprint can get the benefit of new features with a software download.”
”We are thrilled to partner with Zodiac to enable MediaFirst, together with our recently announced MediaFirst client for Mediaroom, to address all of the roughly one billion set-top-boxes deployed around the world” said Gowton Achaibar, COO and Head of R&D, MediaKind, “This combination delivers an incredible value proposition for operators to evolve, adapt and shift to a next generation TV experience in an elegant manner.”
To demonstrate the breadth of the addressable market/footprint for MediaFirst delivered with the Zodiac software, both MediaKind (booth #1.D61) and Zodiac (booth #1.D11) will be displaying the MediaFirst user experience with Zodiac software and interfacing with the MediaFirst backend. At the Zodiac booth, MediaFirst will be featured on:
- current generation Humax hybrid HD-DVR set-tops with a Broadcom 7250 chipset
(6,000 MIPS) and 2 GB memory running MediaFirst in Zodiac’s HTML5 browser
- legacy vintage ~2010 Samsung HD set-tops with a Broadcom 7405 chipset (1,100 MIPS) and 256 MB memory running MediaFirst in Zodiac’s Zebra “lightweight” browser, and
- deep legacy vintage ~2003 Motorola DCT-2500 standard definition set-tops with a Broadcom 7115 chipset (175 MIPS) and 16 MB memory running MediaFirst native in standard definition via the Zodiac stack
Formed in 2003, Zodiac provides technology solutions that empower multi-generational video delivery systems and devices. Through Zodiac offerings, video service providers are able to more quickly develop and deploy advanced video content, apps and user interfaces to significantly enhance the user experience inclusive of OTT capabilities and premium service offerings absent the need for infrastructure replacement. Currently Zodiac product solutions empower the user experience for more than 20 million users daily, and are the foundation for the next generation service offering of Video Service providers in Europe and the Americas. Next generation capabilities for Advanced Advertising, Operational Management and Mobile Device Integration are seamlessly incorporated into both existing infrastructure as well as next generation platforms negating the need for a cap and grow strategy. Zodiac offers video service providers the benefits of faster times-to-market, which decrease customer churn, improved customer satisfaction and increase revenues and profits. To learn more about how Zodiac is revolutionizing the video service provider industry, visit www.zodiac.tv.
Zodiac Press Contact: Jim McLoughlin, EVP, Strategic Accounts and Business Development, +1 (516) 299 9610.
Latest posts by Staff (see all)
- Grass Valley’s Peter Centen Honored with Prestigious Dutch National Order - February 21, 2019
- Grass Valley Demonstrates Powerful Content and Media Solutions at CABSAT 2019 - February 19, 2019
- CBC/Radio-Canada Taps Grass Valley Open Standards IP Playout for New Montreal Broadcast Center - February 14, 2019